[sakai-core-team] Merging from github to svn?

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Fri Jan 9 14:36:58 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Kirschner, Beth <bkirschn at umich.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone tried back-porting recent changes in github to their sakai msub
> repo? I'm seeing some strange discrepencies.
>
> If I type "svn log https://github.com/sakaiproject/sakai | head -200" to
> look at some recent changes, and try to look at the actual files changed, I
> get incorrect results. For example:

Same here. I no longer trust the Github SVN interface.

> ??? Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I could always generate a diff
> file from github and back-port that, but I was hoping to try directly
> merging from github to svn if possible.

I think Github has a broken or incomplete SVN interface.  I wish we had a
more elegant solution here for merging, but I can't figure out a smooth
path.  Here is what I did earlier when I merged a couple of Git commits
into 10.x:

* Did a git init on my SVN repo and added Github as a remote
* Did a git fetch upstream
* git format-patch -1 366b7370b4bba036ebf7897dad7fa81705d101c5
* git apply 0001-SAK-28949-updated-help-files-from-our-great-document.patch

It's not too bad of a process but certainly not as elegant as I hoped it
would be ............