[sakai-core-team] [sakai-pmc] Sakai 11 and Unconference (not necessarily related)

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Nov 11 09:03:46 PST 2014

I personally feel like Sakai 11 is going to be defined by Morpheus and the
frame-less portal. If in a few months we feel like the work on that can't
be completed by next summer then I feel the release date would need to be
pushed back to accomodate. But I *feel* confident that there is enough time
and progress that it can be completed at least enough to release.

Staying on a yearly track to get out an 11 with these two features plus
whatever else we reasonably expect to deliver by June still seems like a
good plan. I don't think the final decision on this can be made until
around January though, giving ~6 months to identify and fix everything
remaining. None of the items on the straw person list can really be
back-ported into Sakai 10 and we'll slow down a little on the 10 velocity
after 10.3 (though likely at least putting out a 10.4). So if it is
finished, no sense to just sit on it past the June conference.

It sounds like many of the other features like Dashboard are good to go as
well. And from the VC, the progress on the updated gradebook looked pretty
far along. I didn't see the update on Lessons. I wouldn't hold up 11 if
these can't make it, or if something needs to be included in a later
release (like Lessons once originally was) but would be great to be
included.

As far as an unconference, I really hope moving our nightly infrastructure
and code to github happens before any possible "unconference" date, so that
wouldn't be a topic there. The biggest use of this event for me is similar
to the VC. Finding out what things people have been working on locally and
having some time set aside to collaborate. I think the timing in mid
February three months from now after the Superbowl holiday is good.

If it was physical, what would make the most sense to me is to go where
most of the work is being done. Almost all of us on the core team either
live near the east coast US or outside the US. It was suggested on the call
if we did go physically somewhere that NY/NJ would probably be the place to
get the best attendance and have the most to show. But what would the
topic(s) be and would it be worth it for physical attendance? Are there new
developers that would be interested in a mini-boot camp? (I don't know!)
Will it help us being together to cut a release, move infrastructure or
make the final decisions on 11? (It seemed to help for 10) Could we just do
this all virtually? From attending and some initial feedback from the VC it
seems like it could work well if part (or all) of this was virtual. I think
it would be in my schedule to fly somewhere on the east coast, but I travel
a lot anyway. ;)