[sakai-core-team] Sakai 11 and Unconference (not necessarily related)

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Nov 5 09:56:09 PST 2014

[sakai-pmc and cc'ing sakai-core team]

Hi Sakai PMC,

I'm wondering if you have any thoughts about Sakai 11? I am hearing two
positions in the community, both of which seem like they have merit. One is
to stay on roughly a yearly schedule, which the community may expect, with
the assumption that we should be able to get in some significant features,
with features not making it in being targeted for a Sakai 12. The other
position is that we define a Sakai 11 that is really strong, and if takes
longer than a year, that's fine.

Please take a look at the proposed Sakai 11 features [1] if you have not
already.

To me, the top of the top would be Dashboard, Morpheus and iFrame removal
(related but different) ,Gradebook UI redesign and Lessons UI improvement.
Timelines and level of resource commitment for quick fixes through the QA
testing cycle are not clear to me, but if we have the will we can make it
happen, I think.

What do you think? Should we get consensus on what all the top features
should be and set a timeline that is realistic to get them all done? Should
we prioritize Morpheus up at the top and build the timeline as we learn
more and more what this means (for example individual tool updates or not
in scope for first release) ?  Etc.  Is this worth a PMC teleconference
discussion?

What is the next step in coming to a decision?

On a possibly related note, Apereo Unconference possibilities are still
under discussion. Would a Sakai Unconference / working session be useful as
part of an Apereo Unconference this year? To work on Sakai 11? To work on
any process details that need to be ironed out for Git/ Github?  At the
moment, it looks like a mid-late February date for an Apereo Unconference.
Is that good timing for us?

Thanks,
Neal Caidin

Sakai Community Coordinator