[sakai-core-team] Technical statements for Release notes

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri May 23 06:01:34 PDT 2014

Are these statements true with respect to Sakai 10?

1) "Sakai production installations typically run either Oracle 10g/11g
or MySQL 5.1/5.5."   [1]

2) "A typical Sakai cluster is comprised of one or more application
servers running one or more instances of Tomcat 7 operating either in
standalone mode or behind the Apache HTTP 2.2 web server. Each Tomcat
instance runs a full copy of Sakai. The cluster is backed by a single
database providing a transactional store of information." [1]

3) "A more common approach to pushing configuration information into
Sakai is through web services. Any of Sakai's APIs can be accessed by
web services. Web service access points have been developed for many of
the common Sakai APIs used for configuration. These SOAP web services
can be called from PHP, Python, Perl, Java, .NET or any other language." [1]

(I thought REST was the API approach of choice. Is it REST and SOAP?
REST is not mentioned.)

4) Should we have a section on Deprecating the Link tool? What should it
say? Any special technical instructions?

[1]
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+10+and+later+System+Requirements

Cheers,
Neal