[sakai-core-team] Sakai 10.0 release notes

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Jun 18 08:07:12 PDT 2014

Hi PMC,

I've been working on updating the technical requirements for Sakai 10.0
with the help of the Sakai core team. It occurs to me that it might be
good for the PMC to review the documentation [1, 2] as it relates to
policy decisions and messaging. To me the most important of these is
probably the message we want to send about supporting past releases of
Sakai?

Here is my draft message:

With the advent of the Sakai 10 series, official Community support for
Sakai 2.8 ceases and 2.9 is deprecated. Organizations running Sakai 2.9
and earlier versions are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Sakai 10 in
order to take advantage of numerous improvements and continued
maintenance and support. Sakai 2.9 will continue to receive critical
security patches and selective fixes.

This is my proposed wording. Do we want to say that 2.9 is deprecated
when Sakai 10 is released? My thinking is that we want to encourage
everyone to move to Sakai 10 and that this reflects the reality of our
resource levels and focus? But maybe there are downsides to this
message, or phrasing it this way, and we should just mention that
community support for 2.8 ceases? Should we mention that if you are on
Sakai 2.9, it should be the 2.9.3 version? etc.

Thanks,
Neal

[1] Confluence Release notes -
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=86245732