[sakai-core-team] Subversion -> Github Migration

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Dec 29 09:15:40 PST 2014

Yeah, I agree that sounds like the perfect scenario workflow and great for
less frequent committers, but I'm thinking there will be at least a short
term exception for those who previously had svn admin (full commit). Though
likely the ideal is that that the svn admin group could be paired down once
we see how it works but I don't think we have the capacity for a small (at
the moment) group to both do the work in their own branch and have someone
else manage their pull requests (even if it's themselves doing it twice).
At least not until we see how the system is working?

Is there really a significant process advantage for people we already trust
over just having them commit directly? (I don't know, I've never worked in
a large collaborative git project) I just see it as one extra unnecessary
step right now. Maybe for a large feature that would normally have went in
crucible, but not for a small bug fix that just needs to get in. So we'd
have slightly different workflows for (for lack of better names at the
moment) Sakai admin verses Sakai contributor.

So for those who previously had svn-admin *and* have been active in the
past 90 (?) days committing to svn. (Sakai Admin workflow)

1) They will be added with full write access to the github sakaiproject
repository as admin's again to accept pull requests and push changes.

2) Those committers can just check out that repository directly, commit
changes git locally, and push their commits when ready directly into the
repository.

3) Everyone who didn't have svn-admin previously will need to follow an
Sakai contributor workflow as described.

3a) If a commit is significant in scope, it should still go through the
regular Sakai contributor workflow.

4) Ideally other pull requests in the queue will also be periodically
reviewed by members of this Sakai admin group and committed

Master will represent what was previously trunk. We're not moving any
previous branches over to github, and when it comes time to branch for 11
(in a month or so) we'll decide what we want to do about that.

I agree that we'll continue to track bugs in jira, but any new contributed
patches would probably be best to be attached as pull requests from a
forked repository.