[Deploying Sakai] Measuring session size

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Mar 25 05:47:45 PDT 2014

Getting a live copy of a heap dump during term time is really the best way
to do it in my experience.  Using gdb makes this really easy:
https://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/03/so-you-want-your-jvms-heap/

Aaron is the expert right now in Sakai sessions.  I think he's diagnosed a
fair number of horrible ways we are abusing our session with stuff that
shouldn't be there.

For JSF, I believe SAK-25677 is a pretty huge win and John Bush's graphs
are pretty compelling.  We are also running it in production for one client
and will start rolling it out for more clients.

Here is another ticket that has some interesting back and forth re assumed
memory use in a cache: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1056