[Deploying Sakai] Deploy Sakai on VMs

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Tue Jun 10 09:36:48 PDT 2014

Well, you're adding a large new layer into your production mix that will
decrease performance while hopefully providing easier management of
resources.  If your bare machines are three years old and being replaced
with new equipment, or with faster drives (e.g., Intel enterprise SSD
drives), the impact of the virtualized IO will probably not be noticed.  If
you are deploying on the same (old) hardware, you may very well notice the
impact.  My instinct is that 75%+ of higher-ed institutions have made this
same transition over the past decade.

There was a fair bit of discussion in this thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.sakai.devel/51036