[Deploying Sakai] Sakai fails to load.

John Bush jbush at anisakai.com
Tue Jan 21 20:54:50 PST 2014

If you think of Sakai as not necessarily an application that runs
inside Tomcat, but as an application that comes bundled with Tomcat it
might make more sense, although we don't actually distribute it that
way.

Sakai has its own specific services with their own classloaders that
augment Tomcat's own classloader which look to isolate tomcat's
bootstrapping from things that might be shared across web applications
or isolated to web applications.

These services have their own classloaders in order that each service
might rely on its own version of dependencies (to a point anyway).

I think its probably a valid criticism to say that we haven't as a
community provided the best distribution that is production ready, or
interweves well with linux packaging solutions.  Practically speaking,
I think that is really because every organization has its own
operational procedures and deployment practices, so putting a bunch of
effort into creating such a distribution has never gotten a lot of
focus, because it might not be used for anything but demo's or
prototypes, etc.  At once point my company made an InstallAnywhere
installation package, and that is all it was ever used for.

Even if we made a something that worked with Debian ootb there would
still be issues of how to you upgrade a Sakai instance into an
existing Debian package.  Clean the env, persists the necessary config
changes etc.  That's why I like to think of Tomcat as something that
is part of Sakai, not a separate component, its interwoven at a fairly
deep level.  There's a point where package management tools stop
(rpm,yum, apt) and configuration management starts: bash scripts,
puppet, chef, or whatever you fancy...