[Deploying Sakai] Sakai fails to load.

Gesh hseG gesh at gesh.uni.cx
Mon Jan 13 12:31:39 PST 2014

Situation is as follows, as of today:
I am working on a Debian server. Seeing as the source installation is
giving me a headache, I switched to the 2.9.3 binary installation.
I installed tomcat using the following command:
  "apt-get install tomcat7 tomcat7-admin".
I then created the file setenv.sh containing the following: (up to the next
non-indented line)
  export JAVA_OPTS="
  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
  -Dhttp.agent=Sakai
  -Djava.awt.headless=true
  -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true
  -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
  -Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true
  -XX:MaxNewSize=384m
  -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
  -XX:NewSize=192m
  -XX:PermSize=128m
  -Xms512m
  -Xmx1028m
  -server
  "
I then added the following in catalina.properties:
 - At the end of the line starting with "common.loader=", I added
    ",${catalina.base}/common/classes/,${catalina.base}/common/lib/*.jar"
 - At the end of the line starting with "server.loader=", I added
    ",${catalina.base}/server/classes/,${catalina.base}/server/lib/*.jar"
 - At the end of the line starting with "shared.loader=", I added
    ",${catalina.base}/shared/classes/,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar"
I then executed the following in both $CATALINA_HOME and in $CATALINA_BASE:
  "mkdir -p shared/classes shared/lib common/classes common/lib
server/classes server/lib"
I then downloaded the file at

http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.9.3/artifacts/sakai-bin-2.9.3.tar.gz
I then extracted it using the following command:
  "tar -C $CATALINA_BASE xzf sakai-bin-2.9.3.tar.gz"
I then changed the ownership of the files extracted to tomcat's user using
the following command:
  "for i in $(tar tf sakai-bin-2.9.3.tar.gz); do chown tomcat7:tomcat7 $i;
done"
I then attempted to restart tomcat using the following command:
  "/etc/init.d/tomcat7 restart"
I then obtained catalina.out, and have attached it.
As can be seen, the advice given above to make sure that the catalina.base
classloader paths
allowed me to get Sakai to start loading. However, it stops loading where
the log cuts off
- indeed, in the past half hour, the log hasn't grown.
Can anyone offer an insight into why Sakai won't run on my system?
I'm running out of ideas.
Gesh