[Deploying Sakai] ClassNotFound Exception and AuthenticationManager cache entries

Eric Crossman ecrossman at ufl.edu
Thu Sep 19 08:53:44 PDT 2013

We've been experiencing some HTTP 500 errors for WebDAV and portal
"xlogin" authentications which we have been able to trace back to the
AuthenticationManager ehcache. (We are a Shibboleth institution so
normal browser-based authentications are container logins and bypass
this cache.) We found out through observation and some load testing on
our test infrastructure that when the the cache grows beyond the default
250 in-memory entries and begins to overflow to disk these entries are
unable to be de-serialized back into Java objects and result in
ClassNotFound exceptions. An example exception is included below.

Has anyone else run into this problem? We have tried setting the
"maxElementsInMemory" property to override the default size of 250 but
this does not take effect in our environment. I've also verified that we
do not have the patch for KNL-1008 included in our distribution which
may explain why the sizing property is not recognized. Is there any way
to override these default settings via sakai.properties in the meantime?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Crossman
University of Florida

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [dav] in context with path [/dav]
threw exception
net.sf.ehcache.CacheException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.sakaiproject.user.impl.AuthenticationCache$AuthenticationRecord
          at
net.sf.ehcache.store.disk.DiskStorageFactory.retrieve(DiskStorageFactory.java:967)
          at net.sf.ehcache.store.disk.Segment.decodeHit(Segment.java:178)
          at net.sf.ehcache.store.disk.Segment.get(Segment.java:216)
          at net.sf.ehcache.store.disk.DiskStore.get(DiskStore.java:506)
          at
net.sf.ehcache.store.FrontEndCacheTier.get(FrontEndCacheTier.java:193)
          at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.searchInStoreWithStats(Cache.java:1986)
          at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.get(Cache.java:1618)
          at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.get(Cache.java:1591)
          at
org.sakaiproject.user.impl.AuthenticationCache.getAuthentication(AuthenticationCache.java:77)
          at