[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Load Testing CLE

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Nov 1 14:51:56 PDT 2013

No, those aren't the same tests. You aren't going to find any tests that I
know of that are going to provide you with any accurate real world
simulations of a Sakai instance. There are some load tests out there that
perform simple tests with jmeter/grinder that Chris mentioned to see how
much load the portal or a few tools can take as far as read on their first
page is concerned with X number of users, perhaps this is enough, but will
still take some effort to stand-up.

I tried writing some things on neustar/browsermob a few months ago and
wasn't very successful, mostly because of all the frames Sakai has and some
security protection implemented on form posting that you'd have to account
for. It didn't make recorded scripts very useful. They all had to be hand
modified/written and it was producing unreliable results (sometimes running
and sometimes failing on the same script). Starting from the /pda portal
would have been a good idea. Maybe whatever bug I was having is better now,
but it was frustrating for some reason.

Most of the real load related issues you'll run into are the hard to
predict edge cases rather than typical everyday usage. The class with 100
students and everyone trying to take an exam with some specific set of
publish options and questions at the same time or everyone logging in to
view their grades.