[Deploying Sakai] means of limiting access (logins) to sakai development instances

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:20:28 PDT 2013

Right, I think this is the important part. Any code you add to restrict
user access means you aren't testing the production user authorization code
fully. IP restrictions (at some layer other than your normal application
server and front end) are one tool to consider. I also recommend auditing
the actual logins in some way and comparing them to a whitelist. It would
be pretty simple to create a cron job to look up recent logins by user ID
and alert the appropriate people when a non-whitelisted login occurs, and
then run it as often as you feel necessary.

We have added special logging to the login code that routes to a separate
log file that's then extremely easy to grep out the login IDs and ensure
only people we know are logging into the system. Whether this kind of
post-hoc monitoring is good enough depends on how serious of a problem it
would be for you if someone who happened across the dev server were to poke
around for a few minutes. For us, that's something that we would want to
know about and address, but the possible consequences are minor, and it
hasn't actually ever happened. We still keep an eye out, but don't take
drastic measures.

David Adams
Director, Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies