[Deploying Sakai] Activating LDAP support in a binary installation and user membership

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed Nov 14 09:03:43 PST 2012

> I've read Steve Swinsburg procedure on how to add LDAP support to Sakai (
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/~steve.swinsburg/LDAP+in+Sakai+2.5).
> It worked great. Now I'm wondering wether I can activate LDAP support in a
> Sakai server that has been installed with the software binaries - would it
> be possible or would I need to rebuild it from the sources ?

You do not need to build the entirety of Sakai.  You should be able to only
rebuild the code you need.  In this case, you want to look at the
providers/jldap directory in the source.

You will then need to deploy the JLDAP compiled JAR to the
components/sakai-provider-pack/WEB-INF/lib.  Then you will need to make
sure the components.xml include the jldap-beans.xml import.  And you need
to restart Tomcat....

> An LDAP annuary looks to be central to the implementation of any
> medium-to-big infrastructure, so I do believe it must be possible to handle
> user memeberships within Sakai through LDAP (defining which user can access
> which sites) - but I'm having a hard time finding references to it, altough
> the good documentaiton available.

LDAP is incredibly common as the source for user information
(UserDirectoryProvider) but less common as the source for course membership
information.  If LDAP is indeed the authoritative source for course
membership information, you have two primary paths: a) write a custom
script to read the LDAP information membership information and make the
corresponding enrollment calls to Sakai via SOAP or REST web services; b)
write a custom implementation of Sakai's Course Management Provider that
looks up the enrollment information live from LDAP.

--Sam