[Deploying Sakai] Migrating user passwords from MySQL to OpenLDAP

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:56:20 PST 2012

Hi Fernando,

The passwords in the DB are not reversible, so you'd either need to transfer them in their current form, if that is suitable, or get users to re-enter them in the new system.

Older versions were just MD5 hashed. Newer passwords are salted and hashed.

Check PasswordService in the kernel.
eg
http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/kernel/1.3.0-b01/xref/org/sakaiproject/user/impl/PasswordService.html

cheers,