[Deploying Sakai] New BoF at the Jasig/Sakai 2012 conference

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Wed Jun 13 14:26:44 PDT 2012

Kusnetz, Jeremy wrote:
> I’ve setup a new BoF, Wednesday 3:45 in Roswell II for CLE high concurrency schools.
> The idea is to share what everyone is doing to keep Sakai scaling and performing
> under high user concurrency loads.  Database configurations, connection pooling,
> code tweaks, clustering, JVM settings, etc.

Thanks Jeremy for putting together this BOF. I learned a lot and hopefully everyone else did too. We talked about sharing the little bits and pieces we use to monitor our Sakai instances and at Virginia Tech we've got a servlet that has a simple REST interface for reporting some basic runtime information, including active sessions and database connection counts, and it's pretty simple and should build and drop into a 2.7, 2.8, and probably 2.6 and 2.9 Sakai instance pretty easily, and I thought other folks might be interested. I actually had already posted it on github earlier today so here's the link:

  https://github.com/daveadams/sakai-status

The docs aren't complete yet (though I have listed all the REST endpoints in the API.md file, just most don't explain what they are), and you'll almost certainly need to tweak the POM to get it to run, but check it out and hopefully it's useful for some other folks. It can make some probably-secret information public if you aren't careful, so be sure to read the notes in the README file about security before you put it on any public Sakai servers.

If anyone tries it out and has feedback, please let me know. This is my work email address, or my personal email address is in the README.

-dave
--
David Adams
Director, Learning Systems Integration and Support