[Deploying Sakai] Sakai CLE, log4j, and Tomcat logs

Martin B. Smith smithmb at ufl.edu
Sun Feb 26 08:43:17 PST 2012

On 2/16/2012 11:06 AM, Seth Theriault wrote:
> This config works fine for the first 24 hours after Sakai is
> started, but soon after the first log rotation, it becomes
> unclear which log file (sakai.log or a sakai.log.yyy-MM-dd) Sakai
> is actually logging to. After a few days, it doesn't appear to
> be logging to any file at all. A quick "lsof -p<sakaipid>" often
> shows multiple log files open.
>
> Obviously, this is frustrating. I have thought about sending
> everything over syslog to a different server, but that's not
> really practical in my environment.

Hi Seth,

Seth, it's funny you posted this just now... at UF, we also just
encountered this (after wondering for a while why stuff was disappearing
after 24 hours of logging), and I ended up doing a copy and truncate on
catalina.out every 24 hours (we put it into production last week).
Before that, Tomcat was keeping sockets open to the post-rotated
yyyy-MM-dd log files too.

As you mention, switching to slf4j or logback would be a great
alternative. I've used logback (as a sysadmin) in some other Java
servlet containers we run for other apps, and I've found it's my
favorite thus far.

+1 from us :)

Cheers,
--