[Deploying Sakai] Very general advice regarding RHEL, MySQL

Leon Kolchinsky lkolchin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:49:49 PDT 2011

Hello Colin,

Here in Monash Uni we run Sakai on RHEL and Scientific Linux and use Oracle
DB instead of MySQL.
You shouldn't have any issues with that OS.
In fact I think there shouldn't be any issue with any OS if installed
correctly.

I suggest you install Java (from Oracle) and Tomcat (from Apache) and use
package manager for MySQL and Httpd (mod_jk to be compiled manually) only.
If you're in Melbourne, you can jump to us for a Coffee and I'll gladly show
you our environment.

I know that in ANU they have serious implementation of Sakai and Rob Cohen
is on the SysAdmin side and Steve Swinsburg in one of the main developers
(the main developer?).

Cheers,
Leon Kolchinsky