[Deploying Sakai] Very general advice regarding RHEL, MySQL

Colin Tatham colin.tatham at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Sep 6 21:49:34 PDT 2011

HI

I’ve recently moved to Melbourne Uni (from Oxford), and although I’m a developer, I’m going to be heavily involved in the proposed move from a commercial hosting arrangement, to our central IT Services.

We’ll be moving from CentOS to RHEL.
Judging by the production details in Confluence, RHEL 5 is used by quite a few institutions — are there any issues with specific versions of RHEL 5? We’ll probably go for the latest.
Similarly with MySQL, we’ll be using 5.1, but are there any issues with specific versions? Better to install using a package manager or download an RPM from MySQL?

Thanks!

Colin

--
Colin Tatham | Educational Technologist | Learning Environments
 University Library | The University of Melbourne