[Deploying Sakai] "Too many open files" and search indexing

Colin Tatham colin.tatham at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 15:19:05 PST 2011

18/11/11 3:00 AM, Matthew Buckett:
> On 17 November 2011 12:00, Colin Tatham<colin.tatham at unimelb.edu.au>  wrote:

> Attached is a test class. Download it, compile it and run it on a
> machine to see how many files the JVM can open:

Thanks. On the server:

[sakai at crete ~]$ java OpenFiles
Too many open files
Failed to create tmp file. Already got: 65529

Which is pretty similar to the limit that's set in limits.conf, and far
more than the number of open files reported by lsof -p $java_pid when
the sakai indexer runs into trouble:

Number of open files: 2649  Max: 2655

Some background info:
In production, our binary content is stored in the DB, but we're
planning to extract that when migrating to the new servers.

I've run Sakai with the settings for the extraction which completes
successfully, although it does report that about 800 out of 40,000 files
have zero content. (Those files also have zero content when accessing
them via the web interface before the extraction process, so I don't
think they get messed up by the extraction.)

Rebuilding the search indexes on an almost identical server running
Sakai with binary content still in the DB completes without the errors.
I think that's probably just because it doesn't have to access the files
on the file system as part of the digesting phase, but I wonder whether
the files with zero content are a factor in the digesting phase? It does
report 'file not found' errors, but nothing more.

Thanks

Colin

--
Colin Tatham
Educational Technologist | Learning Environments