[Deploying Sakai] "Too many open files" and search indexing

Colin Tatham colin.tatham at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 15:13:47 PST 2011

14/11/11 10:50 PM, Matthew Buckett:
> On 14 November 2011 06:42, Colin Tatham<colin.tatham at unimelb.edu.au>  wrote:
>> We increased the value set in /etc/security/limits.conf:
>> which seems to have changed the limit:
>> [sakai at crete ~]$ ulimit -n
>> 65535
>>
>> but I still get the errors?
>
> How are you starting tomcat? as /etc/security/limits.conf only applies
> to process started after a login, if you have an upstart script then
> they won't bet getting picked up.

Thanks. At the moment I'm stopping and starting Tomcat manually using
catalina.sh as a user called 'sakai' and when I check the limit as the
same user, it reports the increased limit that we've set in
/etc/security/limits.conf

> If you have a script to start tomcat which if run as root (before
> running the tomcat process as another user) then I'd up the limits in
> there.

OK, could give that a try, but it sounds like I'm broadly on the right
track? It's an OS limit that's causing the issue rather than something
Java-related?

Thanks

Colin

--
Colin Tatham
Educational Technologist | Learning Environments