[Deploying Sakai] Citations Helper survey

Dunn, Jon William Butcher jwd at indiana.edu
Tue May 24 08:16:09 PDT 2011

(Apologies for cross-posting...)

Indiana University Libraries and the University of Michigan Library are conducting an online survey of members of the Sakai community who are using or who have evaluated the Citations Helper (aka 'Citation Lists') feature in Sakai CLE. The survey will be available through Friday, June 3 at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTRV

This survey is designed to help us better understand current use of and desired features for Citations Helper, in order to inform future directions and development within the Sakai community regarding citation lists and library integration.

We have also planned a BOF at the upcoming LA Sakai Conference (currently scheduled for Thursday morning at 9:45 - see description below) to discuss future development and support of Citations Helper, at which we will provide a summary of the survey results.

The survey is short, and we expect that it will take no more than 5-10 minutes to complete. Thanks in advance for your participation, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Jon

---
Jon Dunn
Director, Library Technologies and Digital Libraries
IU Bloomington Libraries / University Information Technology Services
Indiana University
jwd at indiana.edu<mailto:jwd at indiana.edu>
(812) 855-0953

Citations Helper: Future Directions for Development & Support
16-Jun-2011
9:45 AM - 10:45 AM
Santa Barbara A

The Sakai Citations Helper feature, first introduced in 2007 in Sakai 2.4, allows students and instructors to create citation lists within the Sakai Resources tool. Since the original design of this feature, there have been major changes in the library technology landscape with the emergence of discovery tools such as Primo, Summon, and EBSCO Discovery Search; in the bibliographic management landscape with the emergence of tools such as Mendeley and Zotero; and in the Sakai world with the development of Sakai OAE. Given these changes, it makes sense to have a community discussion about future support and development of Citations Helper.

The purpose of this session is to gather together librarians, instructional technologists, training and support professionals, and developers to discuss current use of Citations Helper, desired improvements, and potential models for ongoing development and support.