[Deploying Sakai] sakaiproject.org is a Sakai Implementation?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sun May 22 16:39:18 PDT 2011

Up until November 2009, sakaiproject.org was running Sakai 2.x for a few a
little over a year (from ~2008-2009). [1] (Some incomplete pages on
archive.org) It ran okay, but required a few (new) simple tools that allowed
an admin user to include unfiltered content, everything had to be done as
admin, and getting the look customized took more time than other cms'es. So
a lot of content was links to confluence. Though much of that content is
still linked there. Moving to drupal made it easier for web designers to
work with it, and it also lowered the hosting requirements. (Easier to find
a place to host php/mysql than java/mysql)

I was skeptical at launch but like how the new site turned out. Have to use
the right tool for the job. Might have been even easier (today) to have done
it in wordpress, but wordpress wasn't quite as good then as it is now for
building websites. Might also be able to build something like this in easier
Sakai OAE (than in CLE) as that runs similar with widgets and free-form
templates. Sakai CLE is really very structured by default unless you use are
admin and work to customize pages.

[1]
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/announcements/2009-November/000124.html