[Deploying Sakai] [sakai-nakamura] OAE Backup and Restore

Ray Davis ray at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 7 08:09:12 PDT 2011

Pre-Sparse is pretty well covered, so post-Sparse is the question.
Thanks for the summary view, Ian.

Snipping:

 > If you are on sparse then all your user content is in a DB and the
 > blobs are on filesystem, immutable. You can then do a normal backup as
 > you do with Sakai CLE. You should run Jackrabbit on a local Derby
 > instance and not back it up, since it should only ever be a reflection
 > of the contents of the bootstrap Jar.

I see your point, but in the short term I'll probably recommend getting
as complete a view of the persisted state as possible (including the
Jackrabbit storage). Even if there were no manually-triggered changes to
Jackrabbit data after deployment, its state might help determine data
upgrade procedures for newer versions of the server software.

Once OAE has a shared strategy for upgrades, this could change. In the
meantime, the Jackrabbit backups should be fast and stable at least!

Best,
Ray