[Deploying Sakai] Sakai Down

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sun Aug 21 19:05:46 PDT 2011

Well, it looks like ajp is listening, which would imply that there is apache
or something running in front of it.

Some things I would check
* Can you connect directly to tomcat after it starts up on whichever port
it's listening as 8080, like "http://127.0.0.1:8080/"? This port would be in
conf/server.xml.
* Did some upgrade or something turn on the firewall?
* Is apache start up?

-- Usually non-fatal
* There are errors in the logs about "Component named "smtpserver" failed to
pass through the Initialization stage. (Reason: java.net.BindException:
Permission denied)."
  This would imply that you were trying to startup with the mailserver
(james) configured to run on a port < 1024 as a non root user. (smtp.port=25
or something) Do you normally start up the app as root? Generally best
practice would startup James as a high port (like 8025) and use postfix or
something in front to deliver the mail, but this might not be how you had it
going.

* There are errors in the logs concerning database errors:
INFO: [GenericDao] Could not execute first DDL line, skipping the rest:
StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [CREATE TABLE ENTITY_PROPERTIES ( id
       bigint(20) AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, entityRef
varchar(255) NOT NULL, entityPrefix    varchar(255) NOT NULL, propertyName
 varchar(255) NOT NULL, propertyValue   text NOT NULL, INDEX (entityRef,
entityPrefix, propertyName) )]; nested exception is
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was
too long; max key length is 1000
bytes:com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException:
Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

This is usually because you created the tables in mysql as myisam instead of
innodb. You can check with this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/213543/how-can-i-check-mysql-engine-type-for-a-specific-table
And convert with this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1152437/how-to-convert-myisam-to-innodb

Generally all tables need to be this or they get these errors and have
transaction issues.

Not sure what else, check you apache error logs. There's no way you're able
to bind to port 80 if you're not using apache if smtp can't bind.