[Deploying Sakai] Forcing HTTPS

Larry Dougher ldougher at windsorschools.net
Fri Apr 8 20:45:25 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I got SSL working with my keys but I can't get it force https even though I
changed the url in sakai.properties to https://sakai.windsorschools.net

Here is how I got SSL working.  I didn't have httpd_ssl.conf because I'm on
a stock OS X server box so I put this in httpd.conf:

ServerName sakai.windsorschools.net
Listen *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName windsorschools.net
DocumentRoot "/var/empty"
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/certificates/windsorschools.net.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/certificates/*.windsorschools.net.key
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/certificates/cagdbundle.crt
</VirtualHost>

Then, I put this in the bottom of my httpd.conf off of Steve's tutorial:

LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/apache2/mod_rewrite.so

RewriteEngine on
ReWriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !^443$
RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [NC,R,L]

But it still won't force https when someone goes to
http://sakai.windsorschools.net/portal  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry Dougher

Technology Coordinator / ACSP 10.6 / ACMT

Windsor Southeast Supervisory Union