[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Sakai 2.7.1 performance issues

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Mon Sep 27 07:38:52 PDT 2010

The msgcntr team should consider releasing msgcntr-2.7.2 as soon as MSGCNTR-361 sub-tasks can be back ported to 2.7.x.  A readme doc could be added that outlines the issues involving slow queries and the code changes and added indexes that improve performance.

For many deployers, pulling in updated msgcntr-2.7.2 binaries should easier (a one line change in their master pom) than having to apply patches for the following tickets:

MSGCNTR-360
MSGCNTR-362 (open)
MSGCNTR-364
MSGCNTR-365
MSGCNTR-371

I am happy to help get these fixes into msgcntr-2.7.x as well as generate a release.

Cheers,

Anthony

On Sep 27, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Tom Hall wrote:

>  Hi Everyone
>
> Thanks for all the responses.  We went to the latest version of msgcntr
> (msngcntr/trunk from svn on Saturday afternoon) this norming and thins
> seem much better at the moment.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> tom
>
> On 9/27/2010 9:44 AM, Sam Ottenhoff wrote:
>>   Hi Tom,
>>
>> Yes, there are critical performance issues in MSGNCTR 2.7.0 and 2.7.1
>> directly related to the query you posted to the list.  Permissions in
>> Forums are complex as they allow custom permissions and default
>> permissions.  The "OR" statement in the query you posted is the
>> performance killer.  Enough of those queries queuing on your database
>> server will cause Sakai to stop responding.
>>
>> We have submitted a number of patches that have been merged into trunk
>> and 2.8.x; the parent issue is here:
>>
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/MSGCNTR-361
>>
>> The immediate performance issues will be solved by merging in the
>> commits in sub-tasks 3,4, and 5.  You should also confirm that you have
>> the index discussed in sub-task 1.  The fixes in sub-tasks 3,4, and 5
>> break up the complex query into two individual, high-performing queries.
>>
>> --Sam
>>

>> On 9/25/2010 2:39 PM, Tom Hall wrote:
>>>    Good day everyone
>>>
>>> We are having some severe performance issues on our Sakai 2.7.1 system.
>>> We are using MySQL and Java 1.6
>>>
>>> The load averages on the database server are in the area of 10 (usually
>>> under 3) and all users no matter what site or tool are experiencing
>>> problems.  We had the same problem yesterday and a restart appeared to
>>> clear it, Today, a restart has helped but we are still  having problems.
>>>
>>> About the only thing we are seeing in a process list are queries like
>>>
>>> select count(*) as col_0_0_ from MFR_TOPIC_T topicimpl0_ inner join
>>> MFR_OPEN_FORUM_T openforumi2_ on
>>> topicimpl0_.of_surrogateKey=openforumi2_.ID inner join MFR_AREA_T
>>> areaimpl3_ on openforumi2_.surrogateKey=areaimpl3_.ID inner join
>>> MFR_MEMBERSHIP_ITEM_T membership4_ on
>>> topicimpl0_.ID=membership4_.t_surrogateKey, MFR_PERMISSION_LEVEL_T
>>> permission1_ where areaimpl3_.CONTEXT_ID='ADED4F32D02FW2010WWW001' and
>>> topicimpl0_.MODERATED=1 and (membership4_.NAME in ('Student' ,
>>> 'ADED4F32D02FW2010WWW001')) and permission1_.MODERATE_POSTINGS=1 and
>>> (permission1_.TYPE_UUID<>'6db07323-5783-4d8d-b744-2a988d91749d' and
>>> permission1_.NAME=membership4_.PERMISSION_LEVEL_NAME or