[Deploying Sakai] Announcements on Gateway

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Fri Mar 26 10:59:12 PDT 2010

The annc2 is just whatever you want it to be - just the made up name for
some other channel to identify it as different from the default channel
for the announcement tool in that site.
I am talking 2.x here - what I said before is working for me in 2.6.2.

I have 2 announcement tools in a site, I call them Announcement and
TestAnnc. Announcement has a blank channel field. TestAnnc tool has
/announcement/channel/534d660d-a63c-4b2e-00a6-6ca64bc0d6c2 /annc2
for the channel - could be
/announcement/channel/534d660d-a63c-4b2e-00a6-6ca64bc0d6c2 /xxx
or
/announcement/channel/534d660d-a63c-4b2e-00a6-6ca64bc0d6c2
/specialannouncements
or whatever.

This is for the sakai.announcements tool.
I added the 2nd tool to a site by searching in the Admin Sites tool for
its siteid
clicked on the site
clicked on the page
clicked on the tool
added /announcement/channel/534d660d-a63c-4b2e-00a6-6ca64bc0d6c2 /annc2
as the channel.

Then 2 different sets of announcements show up in the site - one set for
the default Announcement tool and a 2nd separate set for the TestAnnc
tool, where announcements are made in each tool.

Seems to work ok on QA8 - see the site
http://qa8-us.sakaiproject.org/portal/site/f62a3df2-4c9d-4500-bafc-9618e82815eb
for example

A blank field I am pretty sure defaults to
/announcement/channel/<siteid>/main
(where <siteid> is replaced with whatever the site's id is)
because that is what is noted in the announcement.new event

John