[Deploying Sakai] MT deprecation recommendations for 2.7 (fwd)

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 13 01:03:06 PST 2010

On 12 Mar 2010, at 17:53, Stephen Marquard wrote:
[...]
> Also I'm assuming that the MT is only making these recommendations now because of its relative newness, but for future release cycles, these decisions should really be made around the same time as the tool promotion decisions. Every tool or feature removed from the release potentially represents additional work for migrating sites to keep that functionality if they need to.

Personally, I see it as a valuable function of the MT to 'tidy up' the code base. I am not sure I care when a decision is made so long as (a) it is properly discussed and consulted on and (b) all decisions that affect a release are reviewed at the same time. So I can view this as early opening of the consultation (good) and potentially a process that allows decisions to be reviewed carefully without rushing (also good). So, while I accept Stephen's point, I think I might advocate that we don't wait to consider such issues, but we do insist that they be recommendations and if acted upon (e.g. for testing dependencies) they should be reversible until the tool promotion decision point.

It feels like the PM and/or Product Council should be able to help here.

In general, I applaud the initiative without offering any immediate comment on the specific recommendations.

John