[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] [Management] FW: MT deprecation recommendations for 2.7 (fwd)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Mar 12 15:50:23 PST 2010

Regarding Mailtool and Presentation:  both tools were listed as deprecated and removed in the 2.6 release notes originally compiled by Peter Knoop in 2008-09.  Neither were actually removed but were instead stealthed.  From the reference below it appears that both tools should have been excluded from the 2.6 build.  Removing these tools (at a minimum) from the default 2.7.0 build profile simply follows what I understand is our existing tool/services deprecation policy that targets the elimination of tool/service capabilities in the release following the stealthing or removal from the build of existing capabilities.  From that standpoint the recommendation is more of a reminder.

See: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+2.6

> I am, however, proceeding from the standpoint that cutting things out
> of 2.7 at this point would call for rather exceptional circumstances,
> and I'm not sure any of these items call for such action. We need to
> talk this through. I am going to use these cases to try to draft a
> deprecation policy - with help, and I'll work to make a start this
> weekend -

Reports & Warehouse: in the case of reports and warehouse deprecation the recommendation arises from the recent discovery that neither tool is supported actively by the OSP team.  Recommending that the tools be removed from the default build profile but not from the svn .externals file (e.g. they will remain part of the download) commences the process of deprecation according to our existing process.  If we can locate individuals or a team that is willing to support these projects then we can terminate the deprecation process.  But we should not hesitate to commence the wind down of capabilities that are either obsolete or unsupported.

Blog: In my opinion we should initiate the same deprecation process with Blog given that it too is currently not actively supported.  The recommendation below calls for outright removal -- perhaps this is over strong but at a minimum I think we should stealth it for 2.7.0.

Profile: has been superseded in the 2.7.x by Profile2.  It remains in the release because both Profile2 and Roster are each dependent on the profile "classic" api.  With a bit of refactoring in these projects profile classic (currently an indie release) could be put out to pasture.

JCR: Ian has already commented on JCR.

Kernel utils: the recommendation here is simply to start deprecating home grown utils in favor of well-known and accepted open-source alternatives.

Static covers: some people love them but people who think unit tests hate them.  Ian Boston is one among many who has long advocated discontinuing their use.  Beginning the deprecation process is long overdue.  See http://blog.tfd.co.uk/2007/09/05/unit-testing-strategies/

I could write more but bedtime is long overdue.

Cheers,

Anthony