[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Grouping tools as rSmart does

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Mar 1 14:08:14 PST 2010

It is currently not possible with the standard portal. We were considering
adding these features at Michigan into the standard portal (to allow for
grouping on left navigation and in site info) and this is tracked in [1] but
haven't made much (if any) progress on it.

Patches accepted! :) It should probably read tool categories from
toolOrder.xml to stay easy. It would be nice if individual tools could
define what category they belong to during their tool registration, but this
would pose problems for internationalization, probably new kernel methods,
etc and delay the implementation.

I'd hope continue this discussion at a BOF at the Denver conference for
those who will be there, as I'd like the tools to be able to register more
information than their categories. (Including properties, capabilities)

-Matthew

[1] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16600