[Deploying Sakai] Database vs. Filesystem

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sun Jun 20 21:45:12 PDT 2010

This really isn't a Sakai specific question but more of a general question.
The answers on this stackoverflow question are pretty good and seem
appropriate. [1] Generally for smaller installations it might make sense
because it makes security and maintenance costs easier to store it in the
database. But if you're expecting your system to grow, the database will be
the largest performance bottleneck in Sakai and the hardest to scale. Memory
consumption will go up, as will cpu time by having content in the database.
There also get into possible performance improvments sys admin or dba might
consider such as using SSDs for the database (as it really won't get big if
you don't store content) and then cheap raid arrays for the file storage (as
individual files aren't accessed frequently).

The problem I remember from the list is there is occasionally problems
migrating content out of the database to the file system in different
versions of Sakai 2.x. I think there's conversions for most of the data, but
people have had problems with some of it. So it's really best to have these
questions answered before you go into production like:

How big do you plan on every getting? (If small or same size, database is
probably okay)
Do you plan to ever have a dedicated system administrator/dba? (They will
probably give you better advice)
Do you have local development resources to figure out how to get the data
out if you change your mind later? (Makes it easier to convert if you change
your mind)

I would really advise just starting out file system for any production
instance unless you always plan on only hosting in hundreds of users.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/662488/would-you-store-binary-data-in-database-or-in-file-system

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com