[Deploying Sakai] Suspected bad i18n behavior of portal

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 07:42:34 PST 2010

2010/1/22 Jean-Francois Leveque <jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr>:

> If you're giving your users access to only one locale, I think you
> should update the locale you're using instead of adding a new property
> to your configuration.
>
> login.text hides log.login
> xlogin.text is not internationalized
> logout.text hides sit_log

For people who have custom builds of Sakai fixing the resource bundles
isn't tool much of a problem, but this makes it harder for people who
run vanilla Sakai deployments to customise the interface.

A similar issue occurred for copyright options in the resources tool:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17692

If there was an easy way to set locale strings from outside of editing
the original resource bundles then I think this sort of change would
be fine (although you still have to issue of changing meaning of
resource bundle strings).

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services