[Deploying Sakai] Adding list of users: API needed?

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:01:11 PST 2010

Hi Matthew,

I'd suggest two methods, the first one to create the list of user accounts, and the second to link them to sites. Both would accept the XML doc. Then your XML that loads them into the site only needs to have their username.

Alternatively, you can use the existing services to do this and just iterate over the list of users via a Perl script:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib//lancaster.ac.uk/webservice-scripts/

It will be a bit slower this way since its a number of SOAP calls rather than just a couple. But unless your dataset is huge it won't be that noticeable, performance wise.
public String addNewUser( String sessionid, String eid, String firstname, String lastname, String email, String type, String password) throws AxisFault
public String addMemberToSiteWithRole(String sessionid, String siteid, String eid, String roleid) throws AxisFault

Note: If you have Sakai setup via LDAP or some other provider you don't need them to have accounts first, you can just add them to a site and the service looks them up by username and makes the connection.

cheers,
Steve