[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] What do you think about Config Viewer?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Jan 7 15:13:38 PST 2010

Right Steve, this is what I meant. The defaults would be defined similar to
how they are now (unless we switch to apache commons config but thats for a
later decision and more investigation). This tool really just needs a way
for the individual tools to define what they provide in terms of properties
in a standardized way so config viewer/editor knows what they are (the name,
the type, the description, applicable versions default values, possible
values). These things are all currently defined in a huge properties file
within config viewer right now but really should be on a tool by tool basis
if we adopted config viewer/editor as a core project. I will probably *keep*
the centralized file but come up with some standard so local tools can
override this properties file with more "up-to-date' properties.

The problem is since we don't have any real standard way of identifying
which property goes to which tool, initially it will be a little work moving
these around, but once this is all done, the interface will be really nice
and hierarchial. We will be able to have a nice collapsable tree in the
admin interface like:

+ sakai.assignments -> <Assignment properties>
 . . .
+ sakai.gradebook -> <Grade book properties>
+ sakai.rwiki -> <RWiki properties>

Longer Term: Tool designers will see how easy this is and *want* to use this
over writing their own UI for defining admin properties. It's entirely
possible that these properties could be extended beyond simple properties to
allow a tool to easily create an complex configuration screen by just
writing properties/xml, similar in looks to the evaluation admin
interface<http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7w26Vq3qK3Y/S0Zo2Y37M2I/AAAAAAAAASg/Wg6MWwCr-9E/s912/Evaluations.png>.
These would all be in the same admin area for the user.

I don't believe many tools currently have this many options mostly because
we don't make it very easy to configure them, And the tools are basically
set up the way the tool or ux designer believes it will be used. Some people
like to turn options off or try out different settings, and that isn't easy
now as it requires research and reboot.

And you're right, some settings will not be editable or viewable. Will
probably have a flag such as hidden or read only that can be applied to
these special properties.

-Matthew