[Deploying Sakai] Question on Using MYSQL Database with 2.6.x

Arshad Naseem arshad.naseem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 15:36:24 PST 2010

Hello Everyone,
      I am new to Sakai and trying to install Sakai with mysql. My default
setup with the HSQL works fine but when i change the setting to mysql tomcat
do't start.

I am trying to install on windows XP.

Here are my settings:

hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect
username at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=sakai
password at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=sakai

# MySQL settings
vendor at org.sakaiproject.db.api.SqlService=*mysql5  (This is my servicename)*
driverClassName at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect
url at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=jdbc:mysql://
127.0.0.1:3306/sakai?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8
validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=select 1 from DUAL
defaultTransactionIsolationString at javax.sql.BaseDataSource
=TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED

# To get accurate MySQL query throughput statistics (e.g. for graphing) from
the mysql command
show status like 'Com_select'
# This alternate validation query should be used so as not to increment the
query counter unnecessarily when validating the connection:
validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=show variables like 'version'

Error in Log file i see:

2010-02-04 16:26:13,437  WARN main
org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.LazyConne
ctionDataSourceProxy - Could not retrieve default auto-commit and
transaction is
olation settings
org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot load JDBC driver class
'com.m
ysql.jdbc.Driver'
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.SakaiBasicDataSource.createDataSource(SakaiBa
sicDataSource.java:136)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource
.java:880)
        at
org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.LazyConnectionDataSourceProxy.aft
erPropertiesSet(LazyConnectionDataSourceProxy.java:137)

Can someone help me?

Thanks in Advance.

Arshad Naseem