[Deploying Sakai] possible dbcp issue

Jason Shao (CampusEAI Consortium) jason_shao at campuseai.org
Thu Sep 10 06:44:07 PDT 2009

I saw similar issues in dbcp in a tomcat DataSource (not Sakai) running in tomcat 5.5.27 and JDK 1.6.0_13 and MySQL 5.0.67. In the short term we've added both a validationQuery (on return to the pool) and activated "removeAbandoned" to try and see if it's a leak/retained connection (though it doesn't show up on either Netstat or in MySQL using "show full processlist";

In the short term the removeAbandoned seems to have eliminated the ghost connections, and we've turned on JMX to give better longer-term stats while we watch. The ghost connections don't seem to be gradual - we run for quite a while, then all of a sudden see a block of 20 or so appear -- could be traffic/load/application behavior related though.

We've reset our settings to (sanitized):

54        <Resource
55             name="XXXXXXXX"
56             auth="Container"
57             type="javax.sql.DataSource"
58             driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
59             factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
60             url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/XXXXXXX?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=UTF-8"
61             username="XXXXXXX"
62             password="XXXXXXX"
63             maxActive="100"
64             validationQuery="select '1'"
65             testOnBorrow="false"
66             testOnReturn="true"
67             testWhileIdle="true"
68             timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="2400000"
69             maxWait="30000"
70             removeAbandonedTimeout="30"
71             removeAbandoned="true"
72             logAbandoned="true"
73           />

--