[Deploying Sakai] database connections disappearing

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 30 10:29:31 PDT 2009

Since we moved from 2.5 to 2.6 I've been seeing databaSe connections
disappear. We start out with 300. We have set up dbcp to keep a
constant 300. However over time we start building up connections that
dbcp thinks are in use, but never get returned. The rate is about 3
per day. The obvious suspicion would be that Sakai is getting a
connection from the pool and not returning it. However doing "netstat"
it's clear that the TCP connections are no longer open. I doubt that
the server is closing them. It didn't in the past, and with a nearly
idle front end we don't lose any. The amount we lose seems to be
connected to activity. There's no way Sakai itself could be closing
the TCP connection, since we don't set the option that lets the
program access the underlying connection, and of course closing a
pooled connection simply returns it to the pool. it looks to me like a
malfunction in dbcp or pool. However it doesn't appear that dbcp has
changed since 2.5.