[Deploying Sakai] 2.6.0-2.6.1 mysql conversion

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 26 09:55:08 PDT 2009

On the sakai admin guide it makes a recommendation for editing unix
my.cnf and forcing case insensitivity because there's no way to have
case sensitivity on Windows.  (lower_case_table_names=1)
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Database+Configuration+and+Tuning#SakaiAdminGuide-DatabaseConfigurationandTuning-CaseSensitivity

It is confusing that all 3 operating systems have different settings for mysqld.
0 = General Unix = case sensitive read & write
1 = Windows = case insensitive (lowercase) read and case insensitive
(lowercase) write
2 = OSX = case sensitive write & case insensitive (lowercase) read

There is a conversion mentioned on the mysql page (that I've haven't
tried) to create a script to rename all of your tables to be
lowercase, if you decide to turn on this option afterward, though
converting it over to option 1 or 2 from 0 should work without
converting names. Sakai shouldn't have a problem with tables of either
case, as it works fine with a windows mysql, but you'd need to have
the right option in your my.cnf for lookups.

-Matthew