[Deploying Sakai] [Building Sakai] Trunk: ui package proposal

David Haines dlhaines at umich.edu
Tue Nov 10 06:48:07 PST 2009

Seth,

	I'm not sure what the problem is here. You have to patch and build
the project now anyway, you just have to patch and build everything at
the same time (which I don't see as a fundamental advantage).  Is the
issue mostly keeping track of what projects have been patched and
built when they aren't done in a single mass build?

	I do think we are conflating a few different things under
"independent release".  The new core services packages aren't really
independent releases. There is no point in having to recompile stable
code that hasn't changed for months. Repackaging code to create stable
artifacts is a good idea. However that shouldn't be considered a
separate release of that code.  Separate tools like Samigo should
truly be an independent release.  Those are option and there is no
reason that a release of an improved Sakai as a whole should depend on
the state of the Samigo code.

	If you need to patch non-Samigo code to release Samigo that is a
different problem and should be addressed as a bug.

- Dave

David Haines
CTools Developer
Digital Media Commons