[Deploying Sakai] Frequency of updates to production system

John Leasia jleasia at umich.edu
Tue Nov 3 05:51:06 PST 2009

At UMich, we have put out 10 releases so far this year. At start of Jan
we were on 2.5, and we continued with 7 releases through our Winter term
and in to our smaller summer terms. For Fall 09 term starting in Sept.,
we moved to 2.6 and have released 3 times since then. We will release
once more before end of Fall term (maybe twice if needed to fix
anything). We will probably move to 2.6.1 for Winter term.

We are releasing less frequently now as the system becomes more and more
ingrained on campus. Usually during the term we release to fix bugs
and/or improve performance, and introduce new tools or UI changes
between terms, though depending on the tool or UI change as it relates
to a particular user issue we have released those types of changes
mid-term when warranted. For this year
CTools_2_5_3O  r55848 released Saturday 01/10/09
CTools_2_5_3P r56669 released Saturday 01/31/09
CTools_2_5_3Q r58195 released Saturday 03/07/09
CTools_2_5_3R r58467 released Saturday 03/14/09
CTools_2_5_3S r59925 released Saturday 04/11/09
CTools_2_5_4T r63385 released Saturday 06/13/09
CTools_2_5_4U r64563 released Saturday 07/11/09

CTools_2_6_0A r65980 released Saturday Aug 29
CTools_2_6_0B r66980 released Tuesday Oct 6
CTools_2_6_0C r67678 released Saturday Oct 17

We restart the app every Sat. at 5am. That takes about 15 minutes. Our
scheduled maintenance windows are Tues, Thurs, Sat mornings starting at
5am through 7am (Sat 3am-7 if needed) but don't normally use the Tues.,
Thurs. windows. We try to always release Sat. and use an extended window
Sat. if needed for conversions, db updates, etc., along with the weekly
reset.

John