[Deploying Sakai] Converting Oracle LONGs to LOBs?

Adams, David da1 at vt.edu
Tue May 26 11:58:55 PDT 2009

Hello,
We've recently run into an Oracle error where updating a table
(METAOBJ_FORM_DEF) with both a LONG and a LOB field using over 4k of
data triggers an Oracle exception (ORA-22295[1]). This problem was
reported in SAK-12914[2] but hasn't been resolved. Our DBAs have been
bugging us to find a way to get rid of the LONG columns anyway, as they
complicate management of backups and other processes.

Folks from Michigan have mentioned in various places that they have
converted at least some of their LONG columns to LOBs. I was wondering
if they or anyone else could post (or point me to) the steps they took
to do the conversion, and if any code changes were necessary. And is
there any movement on getting rid of the LONG fields in the Sakai
source?

Thanks!

-dave

[1] http://www.error-code.org.uk/view.asp?e=ORACLE-ORA-22295
[2] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-12914

David Adams
Director of Learning Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies