[Deploying Sakai] Deployment sizing question

Jeff Cousineau cousinea at umich.edu
Wed May 13 10:53:02 PDT 2009

Hi Todd,

Actually those are relatively old specs for our production
infrastructure.  Here's our current production infrastructure at UM:

load balancer env:  HA pair Netscaler RS9800 load balancers
app server env:  5 Dell PowerEdge 1950 application servers, 16GB RAM
running RHEL 5, apache 2.2.x, tomcat 5.5 w/ 6GB heap
(plus one additional PE1950 running outside the active cluster as
search server)
db server env:  1 Sun Fire T2000 w/ 16GB RAM, running Solaris 10 and
Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4)
file storage:  NetApp FAS3020 filer, multiple disk shelves for Oracle
database and Sakai Resources file space, over NFS

This entire environment is replicated in a second data center (with
one exception as we have a single Netscaler load balancer at the
secondary site instead of a HA pair).  We use SnapMirror to sync the
files between NetApp filers, and have an Oracle standby db at the
second site for db replication & failover.

The diagram Anthony sent also reflects a significant number of
external service/database dependencies.

We are planning to replace our Oracle db server hardware with Sun
T5120's w/ 64GB RAM (expandable to 128GB) before Fall semester 2009.
We're also increasing our file storage capacity on the NetApp filers
before Fall.  We saw file storage usage increase by ~900GB during
Winter 09.  We currently have about 5TB of file resources on the
filers, most of which is from the past 2.0-2.5 years.

Oracle 11g is on our short list of infrastructure upgrades to address
in the relatively near term.

Please feel free to contact us (CTools Operations Team) at ctops at umich.edu
, we'd be happy to talk with you and anyone else about our
infrastructure, our deployment considerations and decisions, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff