[WG: Production / Deploying Sakai] VMware for hosting Sakai

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Tue Mar 24 05:39:18 PDT 2009

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using VMWare to host Sakai instances. We're busy looking at
virtualizing at least some of our cluster but are getting what appears
to be IO contention issues. After start up while the node is copying the
shared index to its local store the load increases drastically and
performance degrades - it seems that there is some kind of IO contention
on the disk. Anyone have any tips for trouble shooting configuration
that I can pass on to our platforms team?
Where running esx3.5.0

Thanks

David