[Deploying Sakai] Java Out of Memory Error with Sakai 2.5 on Windows

Shane Tully tully.shane at bpsd.org
Fri Jul 17 09:49:16 PDT 2009

Hi all, I have been trying to get the binary installation of Sakai to
run in a Windows (7 RC) environment. This comes after I was successful
in getting the source to compile and run in a Linux environment.
However, I am having trouble with compiling the source under Windows and
decided to try to use the binary instead. My problem is that when I
start Tomcat (with the sakai binary already put in place) the server
starts up but soon throws the error "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap space". The package that this error occurs on is... "ERROR: Error
deploying web application archive sakai-gradebook-testservice.war
(2009-07-17 12:29:06,473
Thread-1_org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig)".

I believe this to be a problem with my JAVA_OPTS, MAVEN_OPTS,
CATALINA_OPTS, and/or setenv.bat variables/file. Below is the what the
set command shows them to currently be.

JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms768m -Xmx768m -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=192m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m"

MAVEN_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"

CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xms768m -Xmx768m -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:NewSize=192m -XX:MaxNewSize=384m"

(setenv.bat) set JAVA_OPTS="-server -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xmx768m
-XX:MaxPermSize=160m -Djava.awt.headless=true"

They are set as the recommended values as I read in the installation
documentation.
(http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Binary+I
nstall+%282.5%29#InstallGuide-BinaryInstall%282.5%29-javaenv)

I have 4GB of RAM in the server and by watching the RAM usage from
before Tomcat started to when I receive the error I've determined that
after using ~200MB of RAM Sakai throws the out of memory error. A
potential pitfall I've realized is, for a Windows environment, should
those variables have double quotes around them, single quotes or no
quotes at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.