[Deploying Sakai] Podcasts

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Aug 11 17:44:58 PDT 2009

Currently for the instructor, there are 2 options for podcasts:
- Display to non-members (publicly viewable)
- Display to site

If the second option is chosen (Display to site), it currently uses
webdav to protect the resources, so someone with access to the site is
forced to login to get the content.
(<enclosure url="https://ctools.umich.edu/dav/ . . .)
for the public option it just uses the access servlet
(<enclosure url="https://ctools.umich.edu/access/ . . .)

There was a SAK to avoid serving these up as dav (which has some
compatibility issues) but this wasn't yet resolved.
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-10919

The only other option if this isn't working and If you need extended
functionality would be to sign up for iTunesU and use the contrib tool
that links up to that. It gives you much finer access control over
members of the course site on what content they can see.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/umctx/

Some discussion of this tool is here:
http://www.nabble.com/iTunesU-Integration-via-Sakai--td20969623.html

If none of that worked you'd probably have to come up with some
external service to store and control your media resources (helix,
red5?) and write a new tool to link up to it. Or link up to your
external media site with basiclti? I think it would be cool if someone
set up a link from sakai to plumi/plone, as that's the best open
source video hosting CMS I've seen, but that's a big project. ;)

-Matthew