[Portfolio] Karuta Open Source Portfolio 1.0 Released!

janice.smith janice.smith at threecanoes.com
Tue Sep 30 16:26:25 PDT 2014

Karuta Open Source Portfolio 1.0
Release Date: September 30, 2014

The Apereo Karuta incubation project is pleased to announce the release of the Karuta Open Source Portfolio 1.0. This first release provides a production-ready environment to support a full range of simple to sophisticated learning and assessment portfolio projects.

Mission

Our aim is to make learning more visible and reflective. We therefore offer  the portfolio community a simple and flexible tool that provides the means for portfolio practitioners, as well as students, to customize their own portfolio workflows in order to foster increased awareness and control of one’s own learning.

Key features

Simple. Teaching and learning (T&L) designers can quickly build portfolio workflows by creating pages, adding different resources (text, document, comments, rubrics, oEmbed resources, etc.) and assigning their use to various roles (student, evaluator, etc.).

Flexible. Karuta has no a priori structure.  The T&L designer has full control and can build sophisticated portfolio workflows with a minimum of  training. No code development is required.

Iterative. Karuta is built for quick review and revision. Design a portfolio, test it in faculty meetings, make changes, run a small pilot.

Powerful. Karuta has advanced features for creating rubrics, user menus, summary pages, help, and peer evaluation. Script language will be available for batch files to create users and share portfolios.

Mobile devices ready. Karuta is responsive design-ready and can be displayed on computers, tablets or smartphones.

Multilingual. Karuta can support many  languages and has already been set up for English, French, and Japanese. Language customization can be accomplished quickly. A special version of Karuta supports multilingual portfolios where not only are interface commands multilingual, but forms, images, or documents can be made available in the chosen language.

 Technology. jQuery javascript front end, Twitter Bootstrap, MySQL (Oracle), REST API.

Try it out!

The Karuta source code has been tagged as version 1.0 and can be downloaded from the following project:
https://github.com/karutaproject

Documentation on how to install Karuta can be found in each repository of Karuta Project.

Get in touch

For additional information on Karuta, contact us at karuta-enquiries at apereo.org.

Subscribe to our mailing lists:

karuta-news at apereo.org
Subscribe by sending an empty email to karuta-news+subscribe at apereo.org

karuta-dev at apereo.org
Subscribe by sending an empty email to karuta-dev+subscribe at apereo.org

 Thanks to …

The Karuta open source project originated from a research project conducted at MATI Montréal, a teaching and learning research center funded by the J.A. de Sève foundation and hosted by HEC Montréal, Polytechnique Montréal, and the University of Montréal.  A great number of individuals and departments have supported and contributed to the initial phase of the project:

Réseau de formation en recherche périnatale du Québec (Isabelle Krauss)

Polytechnique Montréal (Ricardo Camarero, Dominique Chassé)

Faculté des sciences de l’éducation de l’Université de Montréal (Pascale Lefrançois, Maryse Rondeau)

Carrefour Perfectionnement Polytechnique Montréal (Tuan Nguyen Dang)

MATI Montréal (Claude Coulombe, Nicole Téta Nokam, Odile Martial, Racky Diack).

The 2012 Jasig Sakai Conference in Atlanta was an important milestone during which we welcomed new participation in the Karuta project by Three Canoes LLC and the University of Kyoto. L’Institut universitaire de technologie IUT-2 Grenoble joined the project soon, after along with ESPE of Grenoble (Emmanuelle Villot-Leclercq, Christophe Charroud and Céline Pobel-Burtin). Mathieu Cournoyer and Bruno Cloutier of the Bureau principal also gave project members some very helpful UI advice

.We would like to acknowledge the support and work of current partners and individuals who are responsible for this first release:

HEC Montréal (Olivier Gerbé, Jacques Raynauld, Nobry Ouk, Thi Lan Anh, Isabelle Roy, and Jean Talbot)

Three Canoes LLC (Sean Keesler and Janice Smith)

University of Kyoto (Shoji Kajita, Koichiro Tonomura, Naoshi Hiraoka, and Kumiko Kondo)

Institut universitaire de technologie IUT-2 Grenoble (Lionel Filippi, Sylvie Pesty, Eric Giraudin, and Marc Vassoille).

We especially want to publicly acknowledge the essential and generous contribution of Olivier Gerbé of HEC Montréal who, as the lead architect and developer, made this project possible, Jacques Raynauld, who has led the project at HEC Montréal from its inception, and Janice Smith of Three Canoes LLC for her project and community management skills.

Finally, we want to thank our Apereo incubation mentors, Ian Dolphin and Mark Norton, for their guidance and patience as we take our first steps toward becoming a fully fledged open source project.

What’s next?

New features will be available soon, such as showcase portfolios, reporting and accreditation portfolios, OSP data migration, OSP type matrices, grading matrices, IMS LTI 2 integration, improved functionalities (email notification, submit, show/hide, verification), HTML publishing, and portfolio templates (learning portfolios, CVs, etc.).

Janice A. Smith, Ph.D.
Karuta Incubation Project Lead
Three Canoes LLC
1204 Laurel Avenue