[Portfolio] Next Week's T&L Call > Group Update and Discussion on the Future of Sakai

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Thu Mar 6 11:39:17 PST 2014

Colleagues,

As some are already aware from our discussions on the past few Teaching
and Learning calls, I have been working to organize a "special" Teaching
and Learning Group call for next week, Wednesday, March 12, 2014 from 2 -
3 PM Eastern Time (New York).  The goal of this meeting is two fold.
First, we are hoping to engage more people in the work that the Teaching
and Learning group has been working on over the past 6 months as means to
accelerate some of these activities.  Second, we are at a point with some
of this work where we want to broaden the community input and "check in"
to see if there is consensus that the activities we've been working on are
of value to the larger community.

At present, I have heard back from about 15 "new" people from a range of
institutions who plan to also be on the call and who I'm hoping will
become interested enough to commit to remaining involved in the group
following this call.

Below is dial-in information for this call.  Please feel free to invite
others from your institution or forward this to others in the Sakai
community (and beyond) who you think might be interested.

** IMPORTANT NOTE** > Please factor into your scheduling that the United
States will be moving onto Daylight Savings Time on Sunday, March 9th and
we will be adjusting our clocks ahead by 1 hour (
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/).

With regards to the call agenda, I would like to propose the following:

(1) Update and Overview of Current Teaching and Learning Group Activities
- Teaching Capability Review Process
- Vision for a "Next Generation" Sakai
- Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award Program

(2) Discussion and Q&A
- General questions and areas that need clarification
- Do those new to the group see value in these activities?  Is there
interest in contributing to these efforts?
- If so, what is the best process for working collaboratively on areas of
mutual interest?
- How might we engage with other groups within the Sakai community?

(3) Group Goals and Next Steps
- What goals would be useful to set between now and the June Open Apereo
Conference?
- Who would be interested in working on these?
- How might we work to pool resources needed to implement enhancements or
engage in longer-term projects?

During the first part of the call we will be reviewing some of the
projects the group has been engaged on.  If you are interested in
exploring some of this prior to the call or want to follow along on the
call as we do this review, you may find the following links helpful:

Current Pilot of T&L Capability Review Process:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/ngIsBQ

A DRAFT Vision for the Next Generation of Sakai:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/8QU_BQ

Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/DArzB

DIAL-IN CONNECTION INFORMATION
 If you have concerns dialing internationally please let me know.

Within United States: 1-888-447-7153
International: 1-719-387-1138
Participant Code: 917798 (then hit "#")

Joshua Baron