[Portfolio] Today's Sakai Teaching and Learning Call

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Wed Jan 8 09:21:23 PST 2014

Colleagues,

Happy New Year!  My apologies for not getting this out sooner, lots of
catching up to do here after our holiday break.

I would like to suggest that we hold our weekly call today at our regular
time (2 - 3 PM Eastern).  Dial-in information and link to our Etherpad
sites where we are taking note can be found at:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/BwrzB.

In term of an agenda, I'd like to suggest that we consider spending this
call, and possibly the next couple of meetings, brainstorming and sharing
ideas around what we think Sakai needs to become over the next 5-10 years
to remain a platform that supports innovative teaching and learning.  My
thought here is to focus on the larger strategic goals and vision rather
than specific feature/requirements (these would flow from a
strategy/vision in the future).   On our last call in December I mentioned
that there were informal plans to discuss this topic at the upcoming
ApereoCamp which I will be attending.  I would value being able to bring
to thoughts and ideas from this group to these discussions.

I want to stress here that my suggesting this agenda topic I'm by no means
trying to imply that I don't want to continue the work that we've engaged
in around T&L Capability Reviews as I continue to see this as a vital
initiative.  My sense from our December call though is that we may need to
engage designers more in our work which is something I think is viable but
which will take some time to follow up on.  Given that ApereoCamp is three
weeks away my thought is that we could spend some time on this other topic
and then return to the capability review work in February when we might
have more clarify around designer resources.

I'm totally open to a complete different agenda for the call so please
feel free to share your thoughts.  We can start off the call seeing what
people think.

Finally, as some may have seen from my posting yesterday, I will be
running a webinar, hosted by Asahi Net from 1 - 2 PM Eastern on our
learning analytics work (see my other posting for details) so I may be 5
minutes late to our call.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer