[Portfolio] Wednesday's (12/18) Teaching and Learning Group Call

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Tue Dec 17 10:46:24 PST 2013

Colleagues,

I want to start by thanking Yitna and Neal for jumping in over the past
few weeks to help organize and facilitate our calls and also apologize for
my absence.  As some know, I've had some unexpected business trips pop up
which caused some chaos with my schedule and I had to miss a number of
recent calls as a result.

Although I recognize that this week is one of the last of the New Year for
many of us as we head into a the holiday break period, I want to suggest
that we hold our call tomorrow (December 18, 2013) with the plan that we
use the time to do a bit of self-reflection on what we've accomplished
since the Apereo conference in June, the feedback that we've gotten from
developers on the Preliminary Capability Enhancement spreadsheet and
discuss how we want to proceed with this work in the New Year.  For now,
I'll note that I'm encouraged by the fairly positive feedback we received
on the spreadsheet work (see comments at the bottom of
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/ngIsBQ) but I think it is important
that we pause to consider how we factor in their suggestions.  At the same
time, we may also want to map out some of our next steps so that we have a
rough plan going into the spring semester.

Finally, if we have time I'd be interested in hearing from the group about
thoughts related to the longer-term (5+ year) strategy for Sakai as I
think there will be opportunities over the coming months to engage in a
larger dialog about this and getting a conversation started in this group
now would be useful.

I realize that with semesters ending, etc. that this week may not be ideal
for everyone and thus I'd like to suggest that we plan to continue the
discussion we start this week into the New Year.  I'd also like to suggest
that we cancel the calls scheduled for next week and the week after as I'm
assuming most of us will be off.

I'm looking forward to chatting tomorrow.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College